Forum Turris
Fórum Turris Nápověda

Milí majitelé routerů Turris,

toto fórum bylo 9. 12. 2016 zmrazeno a nahrazeno naším novým Turris fórem. Ještě chvíli bude dostupné k prohlížení, ale již zde není možné přispívat. Více informací naleznete v oznámení o uzavření fóra.

Dear Turris routers users,

this forum has been frozen on Dec 9th, 2016 and replaced by our new Turris forum. It will be read-only accessible for some time after. For more information, read the announcement about closing the forum.

Nahoru Téma Public (EN only) / General Discussion / DNS for LAN (uzamčeno)
- - Od dgrb Dne 2016-11-07 00:00
I'm just setting up my Turris omnia and so far everything is working fine, except...

I've set up static IP leases, which includes hostnames, but the DNS does not seem to know about them. I'd like to be able just to reference local systems by hostname (and I know you can do this with DD-WRT, as I was using that on my old Linksys until about 3 hours ago) but I cannot figure out how to do it on the Turris.

I've added some entries (and their IP addresses) on the hostnames page of Luci, but still no joy.

If anyone knows the answer I'd be very grateful.
Nadřazený - - Od horada (>) Dne 2016-11-08 13:32
Nadřazený - - Od dgrb Dne 2016-11-09 05:01
Sorry,  must be dim, but I don't see how that thread relates to my problem.

Also, the Luci Network->Hostnames page: what is the point of that? It seems to allow you to tie a name to an IP address (even though I've already done that with the static ip assignments) but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I've ssh'ed in and added my systems to /etc/hosts and still no joy.

Surely this should be simple...
Nadřazený - - Od horada (>) Dne 2016-11-09 16:30
I'll try to explain (hopefully correctly)...

In "classic" OpenWRT is only dnsmasq for both DNS and DHCP services.
The configuration you did in the Network ->DHCP and DNS and Network -> Hostnames is only for dnsmasq.

Turris Omnia founders decided to use dnsmasq only as DHCP service and then Knot as DNS service (because dnsmasq is not able to validate DNSSEC).

DNS functionality of dnsmasq is disabled by setting Network -> DHCP and DNS -> Advanced Settings -> DNS server port to 0.

So you have to enable dnsmasq DNS functionality (on some non standard port, because on standard port 53 is running Knot) and then you have to configure Knot to ask your dnsmasq for hostnames from your local domain.

In particular:

1) set DNS server port to 53535 (Network -> DHCP and DNS -> Advanced Settings -> DNS server port)

2) add following line to the file /etc/init.d/kresd, before the end of init_header() function (probably around line 41):

echo "policy.add(policy.suffix(policy.FORWARD('127.0.0.1@53535'),  policy.todnames({'lan'})))" >>$CONFIGFILE

So the part of the file will looks like this:

28 init_header() {
29         echo "--Automatically generated file; DO NOT EDIT" > $CONFIGFILE
30         echo "modules = {" >> $CONFIGFILE
31         config_get_bool prefetch common prefetch 0
32         echo "    'policy'" >> $CONFIGFILE
33         if [ "$prefetch" \!= 0 ]; then
34                 echo "  , 'stats'" >> $CONFIGFILE
35                 echo "  , predict = {" >> $CONFIGFILE
36                 echo "        window = 30 -- 30 minutes sampling window" >> $CONFIGFILE
37                 echo "      , period = 24*(60/30) -- track last 24 hours" >> $CONFIGFILE
38                 echo "  }" >> $CONFIGFILE
39         fi
40         echo "}" >> $CONFIGFILE
41         echo "policy.add(policy.suffix(policy.FORWARD('127.0.0.1@53535'),  policy.todnames({'lan'})))" >>$CONFIGFILE

44 }

3) Restart all affected services:

/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart
/etc/init.d/kresd restart

If it will not work, check /var/log/messages for errors/debug information.
It might be also helpful to try to resolve some name (pc.lan in following example) just via the dnsmasq by running following command on the router:

dig +short @127.0.0.1 -p 53535 pc.lan

(Hopefully dig command is there installed by default - package bind-dig.)

Be aware, that this is WORKAROUND and the file /etc/init.d/kresd will be overwritten with next update of Knot (so you will have to perform the step 2 again. Hopefully we will get better/official solution for this in the near future.
Nadřazený - Od dgrb Dne 2016-11-09 21:22
Thanks for your time; I think I'll just stick with putting /etc/hosts files on all my local systems until we have a non-workaround solution.

But thanks again.
Nahoru Téma Public (EN only) / General Discussion / DNS for LAN (uzamčeno)