Forum Turris
Fórum Turris Nápověda

Milí majitelé routerů Turris,

toto fórum bylo 9. 12. 2016 zmrazeno a nahrazeno naším novým Turris fórem. Ještě chvíli bude dostupné k prohlížení, ale již zde není možné přispívat. Více informací naleznete v oznámení o uzavření fóra.

Dear Turris routers users,

this forum has been frozen on Dec 9th, 2016 and replaced by our new Turris forum. It will be read-only accessible for some time after. For more information, read the announcement about closing the forum.

Nahoru Téma Majitelé routerů / Uživatelská vylepšení / UPS for turris
- - Od samm Dne 2015-07-15 17:46
Hi, looking for some UPS for turris, and i think it would be much more efficient to use DC UPS (7.5V) instead of AC (220V). I found this UPS, but may be there are some better and cheaper options?
Nadřazený - - Od Jan Čermák (>>) Dne 2015-07-16 07:50 Upraveno 2015-07-16 07:53
Well, I'm not even sure that the one you suggested is suitable for Turris. At 7.5 V/1.1 A, it may have problems supplying enough power for Turris (which needs ~9 W and more).

An interesting (though expensive) alternative would be something like OpenUPS (while "open" stands here rather for "DIY") with some SLA battery. It would be great if you were able to find some cheaper alternative (all in all, you "just" need charging circuit and two FET switches switching between battery and input), unfortunately I don't know about anything similar :( There's something called PicoUPS by the company that makes OpenUPS, but it has 12 V output only. That is suitable for Turris 1.1, but some hacking or a different product is needed for Turris 1.0.

Edit: Maybe you could try asking on some EE forum (forum at eevblog.com is quite a good one), I guess you won't be the first one who's looking for something like this.
Nadřazený - - Od samm Dne 2015-07-16 10:20
thank you for reply and suggestions. OpenUPS looks really cool, but is a bit expensive + probably will require different DC source (not sure if Turris DC will provide enough to charge battery + run router).

I am now thinking about some 12v solution + DC converter on output (e.g [1]) (they are really very cheap and should be efficient). Also just found such battery: [2] - it seems to be already equipped with charging controller, so i think that such device (or they also have batteries with higher capacity)  + possibly diode to avoid current from battery to charger should do the job. May be I will order something like this and will share my result (in a 2-3 weeks, China is far :))

[1] http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Voltage-LM2596-DC-DC-Step-Down-Regulator-Power-Module-Converter-Board-/131547145174?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea0d223d6
[2] http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-3000mAh-Super-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-Pack-with-AC-Charger-EU-Plug-/261853242803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3cf7ab65b3
Nadřazený - - Od rene.kliment (>) Dne 2015-09-12 16:54 Upraveno 2015-09-12 17:03
Hey. May I ask if you made any progress? My 230V UPS just died so I've been doing some research and thought about doing something more efficient also. I stumbled upon this article. I think this would be a super cool device. What do you think? You can use almost any battery you want to and DC-DC converters are quite cheap so you can connect Turris, harddrives, USB things, whatever.
Nadřazený - Od CIJOML (>) Dne 2015-09-14 08:37
I use NUT as UPS server
Nahoru Téma Majitelé routerů / Uživatelská vylepšení / UPS for turris